Instead of looking from the depreciation angle which we know it's not positive and may cause bias opinions, maybe violating forum rules...How about we turn the table and ask we collectors (not clueless ones, like me) what we like, and can help brands from staying interesting?
I feel for this brand....they make great watches, long history and many icons but why such fate?
Photo credit: Betteridge
On the other hand....
Photo credit: ebay
Highly praised, respected, well maybe suffer a little but still not as drastic as the other brand above.
Why is there so much difference in the aftermarket fate for similar watches?
What/How can the other brands do the RIGHT thing, with respect to being what collectors want?
Few things come to mind:
- Heritage? - How many brands can beat since 1731?
- Brand? - Maybe? Like the oohs and aahs, like owning a higher end brand with respect? Well, GP is not a small or new brand...
- Complication? - It is highly complicated but then seems not helping...
- Size? I think both are big watches...
- Rarity? - I think the one above is rare enough but still ...
- Finishing? - This has always been a huge factor for collectibility and talk of the town. I don't think the GP finishing is sub-par for this Haute Horology piece...
- Marketing? - Then this is a disconnection which I think doesn't do justice to the skills, technical powers of watchmaking
- Auction? - Seems like collectors pay huge attentions to these as a guide as to what to buy, more are paying attention to Auctions nowadays that has steered the watch collecting habit
- Supply and Demand? Well, at these level of complication, the demand is for the top 1% so I assume it's equal? Maybe I'm wrong....
- What else? What am I missing?
Maybe that's the beauty with this hobby or any hobby, always 2 sides, and for those who love some brands...this is the best that can happen...some other's trash is some other's treasure, someone's loss is another's gain.
That's the Balance and Beauty....life goes on, moves on.
I just feel for the watchmakers or employees of some brands who didn't get the stardom or recognition for their work...imagining the same amount of dedication and love put in by the watch makers, employees.
PS: MODs, feel free to remove this post if not appropriate. Thank you.
Deleted 20 empty lines This message has been edited by cazalea on 2021-02-17 10:55:11