New "veneer" for the Series 3 XJ6...my most recent lockdown project.
The original wood veneer in the '86 XJ6 was so bad, parts of the veneer were actually falling off in large pieces. It's really the only problem the car had. I wanted to re-veneer it in burlwood but I planned on hand-choosing the veneer from a local shop, which is now obviously closed to the public due to the lockdown. So, with time on my hands, I went a different route...I hand-painted the original pieces instead. I figured since I spent years doing illustrations during my career in advertising I should be able to handle this.
It took half a day to take the dash apart, carefully labeling everything in the process. Then another half day removing all the old veneer and cleaning up the surfaces. About another half day fixing imperfections in the surfaces, filling, priming, sanding, then adding a sold base color.
Actually painting the woodgrain was surprisingly quick, maybe two hours total for all the pieces. I used an old-school process I found through a google search.
The color is less red than the photos show and overall I'm very pleased with the results. I'll let the pieces dry at least a week before spraying a spar varnish finish of at least four coats.