Last week, OMEGA Singapore had a media event for the
launch of the Ladymatic with an interesting twist - introducing the
pieces a luncheon in its Marina Bay Sands Boutique (MBS).
Join me for a quick eTour of the OMEGA MBS Boutique and viewing of the elegant Ladymatic pieces.
The exterior of the OMEGA MBS.
Showcase of one of this year important models ...
Double Eagle Chronograph, relevant to be OMEGA's golf watch...
The entrance flanked by the covers of Ladymatic ...
One of the Ambassadress of OMEGA, the popular Nicole Kidman ...
The first section of the boutique ...
Turning to the left, another wing of showcases and also the watchmaker-room ...
The sweet pink decor ...
The luncheon setup ...
The Ladymatic showcase surrounded by fresh pink roses (watches were removed to maintain the suspense for later) ...
View of the setup at the end of the boutique, and on the left is the watch-maker room.
Starter served - Lobster with duck terrine ...
After the started, Mr. David Ponzo, President of Swatch Group, Singapore and Vice President of OMEGA South East Asia introduced the Ladymatic ...
Followed by a video presentation ...
A look of the longer 60-second video, nicely done. (Please allow time to load)
Presenting the watches ....
Media members examining the pieces ...
The Ladymatic is a model-name for automatic watch for the Ladies since 1955 in OMEGA. The revival of the current Ladymatic was mentioned, after gathering feedbacks from many of the OMEGA Lady customers who have been following the brand.
It is a watch combining technical performance with timeless and yet contemporary aesthetic, having its own mechanical engine and elegant aesthetic design. Unlike previously, a simpler manipulation by encasing a movement from the men's line into a newly designed case.
The growing sophistication of the Ladies has moved a few key brands to take action in creating unique line just for the Ladies since last year.
The OMEGA Ladymatic has a broad range to suit the female segmentation with pretty good value with steel case to more luxurious gold cases which are encased with movements (Cal 8520 & 8521) with the Co-Axial Escapement and the amagnetic silicon balance-spring.
The warranty of the Ladymatic pieces also stretches to 4 years since they are Co-Axial caliber and a silicon balance spring.
The new Ladymatic comes in dainty 34 mm case with about 28 permutations of steel, yellow gold and pink gold cases with extra-white mother-of-pearl or lacquered black dials on either leather straps or bracelets, with or without diamond adornment.
Some pictures of several variations
A version of Ladymatic Chronometer in steel case on leather straps. Dial is highlighted by the supernova pattern, which emanates from the centre of the dial.
The iridescence from extra-white mother-of-pearl is clearer from this angle ...
Transparent caseback showing the Cal 8520.
More details of the Cal 8520 and 8521 near to the end of this post.
The construction of the case is interesting. Not sure how OMEGA did it.
The caseband is cut-out wave pattern (as seen above) and a layer of ceramic ring housed in between.
A closer look... all edges are beveled, even in small nooks and corners ! Workmanship is respectable.
Next steel case with black laquered dial and steel bracelet. The hands, called alpha-shaped are with SuperLuminova for time reading in low light.
The date window is a bit too small for easy reading.
Polished signed crown in another angle...
Note the alternating polished and brushed finished links on the bracelet are shaped like wave too, continued from the caseband ...
Butterfly clasp ...
A pink gold version with indexes in faceted 18 Ct gold mounts ...
With Cal 8521 with a 18K pink gold rotor.
The difference between Cal 8520 and Cal 8521 is with the rotor. Cal 8520 is with rhodium plated rotor and balance bridge whereas Cal 8521, as seen from above is with 18K pink gold rotor and gold plated balance bridge.
Transition to ...
A black dial version in gold case with indexes in faceted 18 Ct gold mounts with snow-set diamond-paved bezel.
Looks pretty at close up, different from the typical pave setting.
The variations with diamond bezels come with polished screw-in crown set with a BRILLANT OMEGA CUT™ diamond.
Matching black ceramic ring with black lacquered dial and straps...
Similar open caseback ...
- Omega Co-Axial Calibres 8520 / 8521
- Self-winding movement in both directions
- Officially certified chronometer
- Jewels: 28 Frequency: 25’200 A/h (3.5 Hz)
- Power reserve: 50 hours
- Exclusive features with:
· Silicon “Si 14” balance-spring on Omega free sprung-balance
· Co-Axial Escapement with 3 levels
· Barrel with anti-wear DLC coating
- Special luxury finish:
· 18 Ct red gold rotor and balance bridge for 18 Ct gold and precious metal models;
rhodium-plated rotor and bridges for stainless steel and bi-colour variants
· Geneva waves in arabesque
· Blackened screws, barrel and balance wheel
- Central hour-minute-seconds hands, date window at 3H
- Case with ceramic ring: 18 Ct red / yellow gold, stainless steel
- Bracelet: 18 Ct red / yellow gold, stainless steel or alligator
- Diameter: 34.00 mm Height: 11.95 mm
- Water resistant up to: 10 bar / 100 m / 330 ft
- Polished case with white or black ceramic ring in between decorative wave and inner casebody:
· Titanium inner body for gold models
· Stainless steel inner body for stainless steel models
- Polished bezel or snow-set diamond-paved bezel
- Polished screw-in crown, either set with a diamond briolette or embossed with polished Ω
- Domed scratch-resistant sapphire crystal with anti-reflective treatment on both sides
- 4-screw fixed polished caseback with sapphire crystal
- Polished hinges for bracelet fitting
- In supernova pattern starting from the centre, clockwise
- In extra white MOP or lacquered black (colour matching the ceramic ring)
- With 11 diamond indexes in 18 Ct gold holder facetted as a diamond or plain dial without hour-marks
- With diamond-polished applied 18 Ct gold & date window
- With transferred “Ladymatic” under and “Co-Axial Chronometer” at 6H
Polished alpha-shaped 18 Ct red / yellow / white gold hands; white Super-LumiNova in hour-minute hands
Now for the piece, I felt it looks best ....
Full pink gold case and bracelet with diamond bezel and indexes with mother-of-pearl dial...
Please note the crown was screwed out ....
Polished gold crown with diamond briolette ...
Sparkles in snow-pattern ...
A close up view of the diamond briolette ....
Alternate brushed and polished finished gold bracelet with butterfly clasp...
Press member discussing with Mr David Ponzo ...
Lunch continued with main course after the 'feel & touch' session - Roasted Angus Tenderloin or the alternative Pan Seared Hokkaido Scallop.
and completed with the thematic pink Strawberry 'Meringata'.
Initial impression after viewing, the variation with white dial diamond set bezels and indexes looks the best. If not, the second place is the variants with the diamond indexes. However the plainer variations, have got a very good value with OMEGA mechanical movements. The consideration which is required from the beginning, to decide whether to purchase with bracelet or leather strap option, as they may not be changeable.
Thanks to OMEGA for the invite.
Related Post :
OMEGA launches Ladymatic in Beijing
This message has been edited by Kong on 2010-12-16 07:06:59